Texas A&M University has licensed a number of Oracle database products on a campus-wide basis. The campus license agreement provides new and continuing users access to Oracle software. Licensed products include:
- Oracle Database Enterprise Edition provides database management software with added features for enhancing performance, scalability, and security for enterprise-level applications. For more information, see Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition.
- Oracle Diagnostics Pack includes tools to automate comprehensive system performance monitoring, diagnostics, and notification. For more information, see Oracle Diagnostics Pack (PDF).
- Oracle Tuning Pack provides tools to automate complex and time-consuming application tuning and optimization tasks. For more information, see Oracle Tuning Pack (PDF).
- Oracle Internet Application Server (iAS) is a suite of products that manages applications, portals, and Web sites at the enterprise level. For more information, see Oracle Application Server 10g Enterprise Edition.
Funding of the Campus License
The university purchased the campus-wide license using funds for the Enterprise Information Systems (EIS) project. The campus-wide Oracle license offers significant pricing advantages for university departments.
- Both new users of Oracle and continuing departments no longer need to negotiate pricing on their own with Oracle for licensed products. Since EIS funding was used for the initial license purchase, university departments that participate in the campus license will not be charged a licensing fee, and departments will not need to procure and negotiate a license directly from Oracle.
- Participating departments will need to share annual maintenance fees for the campus license with EIS. Individual departments will no longer need to pay Oracle directly for annual maintenance.
Departmental Use of the Campus License
Texas A&M departments that use Oracle products with the campus license must complete the TAMU Oracle Campus License Form (DOC) annually. Please send completed forms to Shervonne Davis at Mail Stop 1119. An invoice will be provided after completion of the form.
Annual maintenance fees will be charged to departments for access to licensed Oracle products:
- $2,060 per processor for the Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, Diagnostics Pack, and Tuning Pack.
- $2,060 per processor for Oracle iAS.
These annual maintenance fees are expected to rise approximately 3% per year based on anticipated increases in Oracle's maintenance charges for the campus license. Texas A&M developed this pricing model by reviewing the approach taken by other institutions including Northwestern University.
The $2,060 per processor amount will be prorated for the fiscal year for any portion of a fiscal year that a department is using the campus license.
Departments that participate in the campus license may request an Oracle Metalink ID for direct support from Oracle. Departments may receive technical support or download Oracle software using their Metalink ID.
It is possible that in the future Texas A&M will need to limit the number of support contacts using the campus license, and departmental database administrators would need to first contact Texas A&M's central database administration staff for support instead of contacting Oracle directly.
Terms and Conditions
Use of licensed Oracle products is governed by the terms of Texas A&M's license agreement with Oracle as well as any applicable University Rules and SAPs, and System Policies and Regulations.